Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Continuing Education

One of my goals in 2014 is to blog more so I thought I would share more than just pictures and updates on the dogs and expand to include other things I do here at Braebrook, such as things that are related to the breeding program, training, husbandry etc...
As I stated a couple of posts ago I really do think that continuing education is important, and when you're studying something you're really passionate about then it's not work, in fact it's downright enjoyable! I posted about the Neonatology seminar I went to and now I thought I would share with you some of the things I have coming up. These courses and seminars are available to everyone so if you think it's something you might enjoy than be sure to sign up and learn right along with me. I'll include the links as I go.

The Institute of Canine Biology is a wealth of information. The website is packed with articles, videos and blog posts that can keep me reading and watching for hours. If you have any interest in genetics in dogs and haven't yet seen it….click on the link…you can thank me later. ;)

The ICB offers online courses which is a wonderful way for breeders and others interested in dog genetics to learn and study without actually having to go to a classroom, something many of us just can't fit into our schedules. I have officially signed up for my first course with them and I am really excited to get started.  I took a few screen shots describing the course: Managing Genetics for the Future , but there is more to read if you click on the link.





This course does require a textbook, there is a link from the course description page to where you can buy it or you can download it as an ebook. I am a book fiend and don't do kindles or e readers, there is just something about having the material in my hands. It is quite a bit more expensive to order the book but to me it's worth it, and it will be a welcome addition to my extensive library.





I've also signed up for a Webinar put on by the DPCA, talking about the most up to date research on several breed specific health issues in the Doberman Pinscher. It is just one evening and very reasonably priced at only $15 ($10 if you're a DPCA member).


Like I said there is still time to sign up for either (or both) if you have any interest so if you'd like more information you can follow the links I've included.

Speaking of genetics and breeding, I have some exciting breeding news here at Braebrook and will be posting it soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment